Here are a few tips that we believe would be helpful as you encourage your students to engage in their own career development!
- Encourage your student to register with the Career Center on UTSA’s Handshake for access to all of our information about events, part-time jobs, internship and other job listings, on-campus interviews, key exploration tools, and email updates.
- If your student has some concerns or questions about what to study, feel free to ask questions to open up conversation about possibilities. Remind them they can make an appointment with a Career Counselor, and the Counselor and student will determine what assessments would be helpful.
- Encourage them to also read about majors and associated careers in which they have some interest under “Career Communities.”
- For more in-depth information on specific job titles, we encourage exploration by connecting with updated career information published by the Department of Labor.
- We have noted that many underclassmen find much value from talking with a mentor, who already works in their field of interest. Tips on conducting informational interviews with these or other professionals are also available to our students through our appointments.
As an additional note, click here for a link to a great post for your student to read!