The ⛄ holiday season 🎁 may be here, but it is still important to keep up the job search. As students across the country plan to graduate 🎓 in December, the employment job field shrinks. Your resume is the first snapshot an employer or hiring committee sees, and it is your best way to represent yourself as a good fit for their company/organization.
Here are a few ways to keep your name at the top of someone’s list.
- Do your research – the company/organization you are applying to wants to see you working as a part of their team. Find their mission and vision, use the job posting to find keywords for your resume, explain your passion for their work in your career objective.
- Tidy it up – be sure your document is easy to read with no busy fonts, underlining or italics. 11 – 12 point font, Times New Roman or Arial recommended, and keep it to one page. (Masters level or higher, may with added experience, move up to two pages.)
- Be bold – use action verbs and metrics to punch up your bullet points and descriptions of your related work experience, volunteering, projects, honors etc. Employers need to see you were responsible for a $2,000 cash deposit, or trained 5+ new recruits.
- Ask for help – UTSA has resources available, head to the Career Center, and have someone read over your work. It’s a no brainer this is the best time of the year, have a holly jolly career counselor touch up your resume before you submit it.
- Just in case you’re starting from scratch, HERE is a good place to see what other resume formats may be available for your major or career field.
This is just the beginning! Drop-in hours and resume labs are ongoing, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1-4 p.m. Feel free to check in at the front desk and get ready to bring in the new year with a job offer. 🎉