At The University of Texas at San Antonio, we value self-discovery and exploration. Internships play an important part in the Roadrunner student’s journey towards transforming their education into meaningful work. Internships are valuable opportunities for students to take their education outside of the classroom and learn about their prospective field of interest.
Recruiting Guidelines for Internships
The U.S. Department of Labor has outlined six criteria for determining trainee status:
1. The training, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to what would be given in a vocational school or academic educational instruction.
2. The training is for the benefit of the trainees.
3. The trainees do not displace regular employees, but work under their close observation.
4. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the trainees, and on occasion the employer’s operations may actually be impeded.
5. The trainees are not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the training period.
6. The employer and the trainees understand that the trainees are not entitled to wages for the time spent in training.
For more information on starting an Internship Program, please click image below.