The UTSA Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) is seeking applicants for the 2020 Provost’s Undergraduate Research Fellowship which provides funding awards to support undergraduate research and creative scholarly work throughout the university. The OUR offers two scholarships for student researchers: (1) the Provost Undergraduate Research Fellowship; (2) Research/Conference Travel Scholarship.
Deadline: January 31st
The purpose of the Provost Undergraduate Research Fellowship competition is to provide support (up to $1,500) for scholarly research projects conducted by UTSA undergraduate students. Fellowships are intended to cover costs associated with research projects by undergraduate student applicants under the supervision of a tenured, tenure-track, or non-tenure track UTSA faculty member. The faculty member will serve as the supervisor/mentor and will monitor the student throughout the research experience.
- Any currently enrolled UTSA undergraduate student may apply.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-time (minimum of 12 hours) at UTSA in a bachelor’s degree granting program. Graduating seniors must provide full-time status certification by the Registrar’s office or academic advisor if enrollment is less than 12 hours at the time of applying.
- OUR undergraduate research scholarships are awarded per academic year. A student may re-apply however, priority consideration is given to those who have not received an award.
- Applicants must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5
- OUR will not fund UTSA-sponsored or specific class-associated research or travel (study abroad, seminars, etc.). Award limits are $1,500 per student, per research project.
- Applicants must meet eligibility requirements, which include endorsement by a faculty mentor/supervisor. A faculty supervisor/mentor is required for each project.
- Travel costs (outside of Bexar County), including conference travel, are only eligible if expense can be justified as contributing to the OUR research goals and objectives and helping the student advance their research portfolio.
The Office of Undergraduate Research reserves the right to prioritize funding criteria (e.g., expected date of graduation, previous awards received, GPA, number of students supervised by a professor, etc.) based upon the pool of applications received.
Fellowship award requirements and deliverables
- All awardees must complete 10-week program
- Complete all required fellowship paperwork
- Attend all required monthly program meetings (2 total)
- Attend all lab safety trainings (if required)
- Abide by all UTSA responsible research and training guidelines
- Submit research abstract (250 word)
- Submit conference style 4 x 3 research poster
- Final research report/narrative (3 – 5 pages)
- Attend and present at UTSA Undergraduate Research Showcase (April 20-21, 2020)
There are three opportunities to apply for undergraduate research funding during the academic year; Fall-August 31, Spring-January 31 and Summer -April 30. Awards will be announced 1-2 weeks after the deadline.
All applications must be submitted online at : https://utsa.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_aeYmk6vQ2cfkPjv