Would you like to be part of a team that creates new and improved ways of doing things, loves solving tough problems, and is energized by seeing their work make an impact? If so, the City of San Antonio’s Solid Waste Management Department invites you to apply to be an intern with its Planning & Innovation team!
Planning & Innovation serves the department as a team of internal consultants that solve the department’s toughest problems by applying a mix of data analysis, policy and procedure improvement, and storytelling. The department is seeking candidates who possess analytical skills, can work independently, and have an eagerness to collaborate with a talented team to create a better future.
- Enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Able to collect, organize, and critically assess and analyze numerical data sets.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to interpret and relay technical and complex information in a clear and easy to understand manner.
- Knowledge of MS Excel, Access, Word, and Power Point.
- Motivated and propensity to innovate and think creatively.
- Knowledge of advanced Excel formulas, pivot tables, graphs, and charts.
- Knowledge or understanding of SQL Server.
- Examines refuse, recycling, and organics data for accuracy and completeness.
- Analyzes data to inform questions and support decision making.
- Conducts research on various solid waste management industry topics.
- Participates in quarterly audits of residual material at the recycling plant. (Involves sorting through recyclables and refuse.)
- Assist in preparing statistical reports, charts, and graphs.
- Hands-on experience with developing business intelligence solutions, data processing, and presentation development.
- Environment conducive to learning and bettering skills in problem-solving, analytical thinking, and effective communication.
- Compensation at designated hourly rate ($16.96/hour); 20 hours per week (weekly schedule can be discussed).
Location and Duration
- 4410 W. Piedras Dr., San Antonio, TX 78228.
- At least three months starting in May (exact start and end date can be discussed); term may be extended based on department needs.
Submit resume to: Tim.Pittman@sanantonio.gov by 5:00 PM CDT on May 30, 2019