💼 Resume Lab 💼
Looking for help with your resume? 📄 Feeling confused about how to pull it together? 😅 Good news -beginning Wednesday, November 7, the University Career Center will be offering a new feature to our Drop-In Hours designed to assist students writing their resume. Resume Lab is an opportunity for Drop-In students to receive brief instruction on the basics of constructing a resume. The Resume Lab will focus on guiding principles and explain concrete elements to write a resume.
🔶 Each Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. our knowledgeable staff will provide brief instruction & guidance on the ‘building blocks’ needed for a resume and how to ‘tailor’ your resume to suit its’ purpose, whether you’re writing a resume to apply for a scholarship, an internship, a full-time job or to apply for graduate or professional school. The Resume Lab has been designed as a ‘first stop’ for students who are in the initial stages of writing a resume or who may have struggled to understand how to pull it all together. The Resume Lab will also serve students who are simply uncertain of how their efforts to construct their resume will stand up to the scrutiny of an employer or an admissions committee.
Students are encouraged to bring their laptops or tablets to the Resume Lab to edit, update or make changes to their documents. Real-time changes to the resume will allow students to speed up the resume writing process and allow the Career Counselors to provide more individualized and context relevant observations regarding the effectiveness of the students’ resume.
Students will benefit from the Resume Lab through an initial investment of time that will reduce or eliminate frustration in the resume writing process and help them produce an effective resume
🔷 Benefits to Students:
- More effective use of time
- More effective resume produced
- Less frustration
- Less Anxiety
- Better understanding of the process
- More satisfaction with the results
🔶 Benefits to UTSA
- Optimized service to students
- More effective use of Career Center resources
- Facilitating students’ ‘Career Readiness’
- Enhancing the perception of quality of our students career preparation to employers
- Enhancing the reputation of UTSA through the professional preparation of our graduates
🔷 Guidelines for using the Resume Lab
- Attend Resume Lab before requesting individual help with your resume
- Please bring your laptop or tablet to work on your resume in the workshop*
- Resume Lab is offered at 1:30 and 3:00 p.m. on Wednesdays**
- Following your participation in Resume Lab, you may request a resume critique
*The Career Center will have one or two laptops available for student use, but bringing your own device is recommended.
❗**Due to the ‘Fall Into Your Major Fair’ on Wednesday, November 14, the Resume Lab will be held on Tuesday, November 13 @ 1:30 and 3:30 p.m., rather than on Wednesday that week.