Welcome new ‘Runners!
Tip #1: Create (or update) a Resume
If you’re looking for a work-study position or a part-time position, the first step is to create your resume. We have provided you with sample resume templates if this is your first time creating a resume or you need some help. Next, bring your resume draft to the Career Center (Student Union 2.02.04) anytime between 1pm-4pm Monday through Friday for a brief resume review with a career counselor. Now you’re ready to upload your resume to your Handshake account!
Tip #2: Log into Handshake (There is NO NEED to create a new account, an account will be created by the university after you have registered for classes)
WHAT is Handshake?
- Get employed- search & apply for work-study, on-campus, part-time, internships and full-time jobs
- Get involved- workshops, externships, career fairs and so much more under Events and Fairs!
- Get connected- schedule an appointment with your career counselor for additional resources and assistance
WHEN to log in: Your Handshake account is created for you by the university. There is NO NEED to create a new account. Once you have attended Orientation and registered for classes, you can login 24-48 hours after registering. If you have not attended Orientation yet, you will have access after you register for classes.
HOW to log in:
1. Go to utsa.joinhandshake.com (no other link will work)
2. Click on “The University of Texas at San Antonio Sign On” blue box. (Do NOT enter your email address to create an account)
3. Enter your ABC123 and passphrase to log in.
4. Click on “Activate Account” to walk you through how to complete your profile.
Tip #3: Looking for a Job? (work-study, on-campus or part-time)
Review these step-by-step tips on how to determine if you’re eligible for work-study, upload documents into your Handshake account, and search/apply for jobs.
Tip #4: Connect with your Career Counselor
Our staff includes 10 amazing Career Counselors who are excited to meet with you to develop a personalized career action plan to help you achieve your goals!
We can assist with:
- Career Exploration
- Resumes and cover letters
- Job searching
- Looking for Internships
- Networking Tips (LinkedIn)
- Marketable Skills
- Interview Prep
- Professionalism & Branding
You can schedule an appointment with your career counselor on Handshake.