International Students: Who will hire??

I often get asked questions about who will hire and sponsor our international students if they are on a visa hoping to work in the US after graduation! This is a big question, and all too often, I notice that many students don’t know about one of our best resources! It’s called GoinGlobal. There was a recent post about training that I’m linking here. But I want to give you a brief “how to” so you can start now with the basics. So, here’s how to use it…

  1. It’s a bit hidden, but for good reason! We pay a license so UTSA students and alumni can access the full scope of the site. That means we have to put it on a site that requires a log-in. 🙂 So, go to Handshake — click on Resources in the left panel, and then you’ll see it on the screen as an option!
  2. Once you’ve clicked the link to go to the resource, click on Career Guides, and then click on U.S. City Career Guides. It is organized by cities, so click on any city you might be interested in living and working.
  3. Then click H-1B Visa Companies under the subsection H-1B Visa Info. Then click on Metropolitan Area Listings. What you’ll find here are organizations in the city who have sponsored in recent history!
  4. Click on any one of these organizations, and you’ll see job titles, how many were sponsored, salaries, and much more information!

For anyone considering working in countries other than the U.S., there’s a whole other section of this website dedicated to typical resumes, interviewing, top companies, relevant job search sites, and other country-specific information. Take a look at that as well! There are some major differences applying in Spain, Brazil, Turkey, and the United States (just to name a few)!!

By Karen Ivy
Karen Ivy Assistant Director-Student Services