A career transition is a turning point — a time where the changes you make will allow you to reshape your career path, or perhaps take it in a new direction.
As an alumi, you can search open positions targeted to UTSA alumni.
MANAGE LIFE AND CAREER CHANGE
A career transition means transition in other parts of your life, too. Perhaps you will need to relocate. Maybe a new field will require you to go back to school. Or perhaps you plan to start all over in a new occupation, which could mean losing the salary and status that you have built up in your current career.
WHAT TRULY MOTIVATES YOU
As you consider what career transition means to you, start by asking yourself:
- Is it just a new job that you want?
- Are you willing to consider a different location?
- Do you want a greater or lesser sense of involvement?
- Would I like to have more time to enjoy other interests?
- Are you seeking better compensation?
These, of course, are just a few of the factors that may have motivated you to embark on this new and exciting time in your life.
TAKE TIME FOR SELF-ASSESSMENT
As your work life evolves, there are likely certain types of responsibilities your will want to continue to build upon. Take time to consider these. It is also important to think about tasks, office cultures or organizational structures that you prefer to avoid. Consider:
- What types of activities give you satisfaction?
- What tasks do you perform especially well and have contributed to your accomplishments?
- What experience and personal qualities do you consider strengths?
- Will you need additional education or will you be able to transfer the skills and experience you already have into a new position?
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU SUCCEED
Alumni may schedule an appointment with a career counselor to discuss career transition by calling 210-458-4589.